PDA

View Full Version : Low benchmarking scores

b_hendrickson
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I have just recently finished my build and everything has gone smoothly!

I have just run PCMark05 and scored a 6525 which was #14 of 25 similar systems.

I have also run 3DMark06 and scored a 3362 which was #27 of 32 similar systems.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to improve my scores? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

CPU - Intel 6750 2.66G Dual Core
Motherboard - ASUS P5KC
Video - EVGA 7600GT 256
Ram - 2GB DDR2
OS - Windows XP

The Wise Monkey
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Does it really matter? Benchmarking tools are pretty pointless, to be honest. 3DMark would bitch-slap you because of your GFX card, as would PCMark, so its really nothing to worry about.

People seem to believe so much in these scores that they get really worried when they get a lower score than they expected. As long as the computer is fast enough for you, then does it matter what a program says? :)

iiiprimeiii
02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
what do these benchmarking scores mean???

shyster
02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I am sure one of the real pros can better elaborate, but as I understand them they are useful for overclocking. Because they allow you to see if your performance has increased. They also allow you to compare with similar computer set ups, so if someone who seems to have the same build as you is performing way better maybe you messed up a connection somewhere.

Or at least that is what I understand there purpose to be. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

b_hendrickson
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
That is what I thought the benchmarking was for as well. I know my graphics card is a little behind times, but I was comparing my scores with systems that had the same card. That is why I was concerned when I saw they had much higher scores.
Thank you for the feedback!

The Wise Monkey
02-07-2008, 05:50 AM
It compares similar systems, not identical. Therefore the others might have a slightly more powerful GFX card, or have done some overclocking, or something like that.

Anyway, its nothing to lose sleep over. :)