PDA

View Full Version : What games/demos should I check out?

BobaFettK
02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Provided that I ever get my new PC up and running, I'm going to be looking for some games to play on it. Obviously since I will have a powerful processor and graphics card, I will be able to play the newest games, but BRAND NEW is not a priority for me. I'm definitely planning to get The Orange Box because I've never played Halflife 2, and I loved the original. I'm also planning to get the new Sam and Max games since I loved "Freelance Police". I was hoping that if I shared my gaming preferences here, you kind folks could recommend some games that fit my tastes. Preferably games that have downloadable demos available--I like to try before I buy.

Here's what I can tell you:

I love:
Star Wars (in particular Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Knight series)
Adventure games (think old LucasArts--Sam N Max, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig)
Shooters with a story (Outlaws, Jedi Knight, Halflife)

I'm not a big fan of:
RTS games
MMORPG games (don't have the time or money)
fighting games
sports games
racing games

RickyTick
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Its really hard to beat Call of Duty 4. The single player is a little short, but the multiplayer is the game's strength anyway. There is a short demo you can download to play. Give it a try, and let me know what you think. I'll give the IP address where my clan plays and you can join in the fun.

JasonG
02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
FarCry is a really good game.

shyster
02-06-2008, 12:55 AM
I think this qualifies as an adventure game, but me and my cousin really loved the Tex Murphy games.

They are really old so if you can find them they will be cheap, but they might be so old you could have trouble playing them.

Crysis is supposed to be good, I think that is one game I am going to pick up for my new system. I do not know if you want a shooter for story or for multi player ability. I would say just from the commercials that Unreal Tournament III looks like it could have a good story.

iiiprimeiii
02-06-2008, 01:13 AM
does GTA count as a shooter with a story. those are kinda fun. especially after a crappy day u can just steal cars and shoot stuff up. :D not sure if they make this for pc but counter strike is a really fun multiplayer shooter game.

The Wise Monkey
02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
CounterStrike:Source comes packaged with the Orange Box - probably the deal of the century, as it comes with HL2, HL2:Episodes 1&2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and CS:S. :O

I would also recommend the Halo games - they are very good.

iiiprimeiii
02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
i dont know if it is different here in u.s. but my orange box only came with half life 2, half life 2: episode 1 and episode 2, team fortress 2, and portal. i checked out the "official" website and i doesnt say anything about counter strike. i wish mine came with it that game is awesome!!! :(

shyster
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I am pretty sure, unless stuff changed, which is totally possible.

That for counter-strike you can just download it and play as long as you have a cd code for half-life.

I know you could do that with the original counter-strike since it is just techniqually a mod of half-life and uses the same engine.

Although that being said, I just quickly checked out the website, and it seems it is sold seperately...

Damn you english are lucky, only our source premium pack seems to come with counter-strike, not the orange box.

The Wise Monkey
02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
:D

We need something over you guys - everything is so much cheaper in the US... :(

shyster
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Pfff...

It is all relative. You guys get free and good government housing, so nobody is homeless. You do not have any homeless people because of aformentioned program (this of course ignores the gypsies who are not technically homeless, but who, as I understand it sort of live like that).

Your money is worth at least twice as much as most other countries money for some stupid reason, so even if you are poor in England you are rich in the rest of the world.

And you guys still own canada and Australia.

I personally think that is enough you have over us without better and cheaper game packs being added to the list.

The Wise Monkey
02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Lol, fair enough then, but there are still homeless people in England - government housing is cheap, not free.

The pound is very strong, so I guess everything elsewhere seems cheap because we are used to high prices over here. Especially London. :)

shyster
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Well I will not try to contradict you since you actually live in the country, but as I have heard it from other people who also live in the country they have remarked that housing is free if you do not have a job, and have kids or something, I think there were certain criteria for getting "free" housing.

And I understand the pound is strong, I just do not know why, you guys do not really make anything, you contribute very little to the world market... why is your money worth so damn much!!! :p

That is kind of backwards though, since usually stuff is cheaper in bigger cities because of the competition between companies, unless it is things like food products.

The Wise Monkey
02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
London is the second most expensive place to live in the world:

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/overseas/article1939874.ece

But its also one of the best. :D

Spiffs
02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
lol, if you just move to canada or america then you'll have double the money that you have now :)

The Wise Monkey
02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I guess, but I like London. :)

Jamie Nixx
02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry to piss on your parade WM, but London sucks, it has always sucked, and will continue to suck even more while Labour lead our Government.

Too expensive and nothing but people getting stabbed or shot everyday.

shyster
02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Da hell?

Are guns that commonplace in England, and more specifically London?

Until a few years ago I thought England had a ban on personal gun ownership and that is why most Bobbies (police officers) did not carry guns.

I am aware that the IRA (is that the correct people)? Were violent in the past, but I heard they had reformed recently and now had some seats in parliament?

Please inform me if I am wrong and I will update my head.

Jamie Nixx
02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
They are not legal to carry, but somehow kids can get hold of them easily nowadays.

The IRA officials, if you can call them that said they had dispanded, so i doubt the IRA is as much a threat as it was maybe 20 years ago.

Btw the IRA is an Irish terrorist organisation (Irish Republican Army).

The Wise Monkey
02-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Lol, Jamie the Conservative... :/

I like London, so... whatever. :D

Jamie Nixx
02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
LMAO Nah not really, all the parties are a bit meh to be honest, i should start my own one :D

London has its moments, but i don't like the amount crime or the fact we are taxed for breathing.

The Wise Monkey
02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, each to their own, I guess. Having lived in the countryside all my life, London comes as a breath of fresh air... metaphorically speaking... :D

Jamie Nixx
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Well ya see i have lived here everyday since birth, it used to be great, my Mum wanted to move us to the country, i was like :eek: GTFO, now i would welcome it.