PDA

View Full Version : E8400 and P5KC

Barrister73
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
From reading the ASUS website, it looks like the P5KC needs the BIOS updated before it is compatible with the E8400. I consider this to be a fatal flaw in a design, but I'm not a computer engineer and do not know the intricacies of designing a board, so I won't harp too much.

If that is the case, then BobaFettK and I would need a low-end processor to get the computer started so we can get the correct BIOS and then install our actual CPUs. None of the computer service places near me have a decent website (again: fatal flaw) so I cannot tell what it would cost for them to install an older CPU for a few minutes and update my BIOS, or if they even would. I imagine that once I am done making calls tomorrow, I will decide to just do it on my own. Which begs the question to Jamie, or whomever;

What cheap CPU should I get to do this install (or, who has an old 775 Pentium I can rent)?

Thanks
MRR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignore the above. Due to further research and BobaFettK's statements, what was said and asked is no longer relevant. I choose to not delete it because that would cause the thread to not make sense.

BobaFettK
02-02-2008, 01:01 PM
It shouldn't be necessary to buy a cheaper, older cpu OR to take it to a service station to update the BIOS if we actually get our motherboards replaced with functional versions. theDano used the exact same mobo and cpu as we are trying, and he was able to POST, got video, and updated the BIOS all with just the E8400. Here's his post from the Super PC Graduate board:

http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1158

Barrister73
02-02-2008, 06:08 PM
That's good to know. I saw the same setup on another website, but that was by a builder outside the USA. Thought it might just be one of the better boards Jamie and his crew always seem to find. :cool:

Now I know that if it doesn't work right away, I should send it back (again). I look forward to having ours work.

MRR