PDA

View Full Version : OEM hard drives

shyster
01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I was just reading on new egg the reviews on OEM hard drives and it seems many of them arrive DOA and many of them die within a week to a month after installation.

So my question with OEM can you still return to the manufacturer after neweggs 30 day warranty runs out or are you SOL at that point? And if that is the case is it worth spending the extra ten to twenty dollars on a retail version just so you have a longer warranty?

Last question on this subject is; I have the antec 900 so if I did buy an OEM hard drive what parts would I need to pick up so that I could mount it and connect it to the motherboard?

chunkylover53
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Can't answer warranty info, but I bought the one Rob recos on MSPC (link below). I've also seen multiple people on the forums order this one, and I haven't heard of anyone getting a dud.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136074

Depends on the board you choose, but most should come with plenty of cables to connect at least one SATA drive (you could check the list of cables in the motherboard's specs just to be sure). As far as mounting, the case comes with "rails" and screws to mount multiple drives. In other words, shouldn't need to buy anything extra.

If I'm not right about that, I'm sure someone will correct me. :D