PDA

View Full Version : A system that will last.

bipolargraph
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi all, I would like to ask for advice for building a computer that would last. I've had bad experience with computer upgrading (I had to learn about upgrading the hard way, there where mistakes I could have avoided).
Now I'm gonna upgrade again, I live in Libya, so the components here are more expensive than other countries. My father is traveling out of the country, and I want him to get me some components with him (motherboard cpu, vga etc), and I was wondering which to get.
Now going through the forms, the mobo recommended here is the pk5c. I was wondering if I should go with that, or I should go with something else that will be easier to upgrade, or I wouldn't have to change it in 3-4 years. The only thing I'm worried about is the pcie slot, since Pcie 2.0 is out, will it be outdated in 2-3 years? (so that I could install a new vga card)

Second point, since my dad will have to shop for it outside, for a limited time, can I get recommendations of other mobo's for back up in case he doesn't find this one. (He' going to singapore).

Third thing, What are the essentials that he should buy? I know he should get the cpu/mobo/vga, but is the Ram/psu/etc not that important since he would have a weight limit? (the stuff I was gonna ask him to get where the pk5c, 8800gt, e8400).
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time reading this/helping out (this is a good community, I'd be lost if it weren't for the help/info here lol)

bipolargraph
02-02-2008, 07:14 AM
For the mother board, should I ask my dad to get a gigabyte ga-p35c or asus p5kc?

chunkylover53
02-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Your gonna get a lot of different feedback here. I have the P5KC and haven't had any problems, but recently some folks have had problems with newer processors (e8400). At the same time, it looks like you will be getting yours outside the US, and the folks outside the US haven't really had problems either.

Tough one for me. Looks like both choices support both DDR2 & DDR3 memory, which was one of the reasons I liked mine in the first place. We'll see if anyone else has a pov.

bipolargraph
02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
The gigabyte GP35-DS3 is alot cheaper from the p35c. Is there any reason, other than DDR3 support that makes it a better option? (I'm not looking into sli either). Since the ddr3 will be cheaper in a year or so, will changing your mobo from DDR2 to DDR3 make a big difference?

edit; It's not cheaper, lol my bad.