mobo: Asus P5KC
RAM: CORSAIR 2GB(2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 xms2
PSU: Corsair HX520w
GPU: evga 7900 GS KO 256MB
hd: Western Digital Caviar 320
Optical: Not installed
case: Antec 900
Floppy drive: Not installed

I am having the same problems as BobaFettK. Every fan works, all the fan LEDs light up, GPU fan works (GPU works on other computer). No VGA detected.

I tried all combinations with the RAM. Because the ram says it is 2.10V, I tried some older ram from my other computer. Still no VGA. I swapped in my oldest ram (2x 256) and noticed that the reset button worked in that configuration, or 1x 256, but not with any of the other RAM.

Also, the LED on my wired keyboard lights when I first turn on power, but never again. It would normally be on whenever there is power.

Because neither the case nor Mobo have a speaker, I cannot hear the warnig beeps. I also cannot seem to find any place that sells just a system warning speaker to hook up.

As far as I can tell, everything is hooked up. 24 pin, 4 pin, all fans plugged into the PSU, CPU fan, HD (just to see if there was any change). Chassis Signal is grounded, CLRTC is on 1+2. I even removed the battery for 45 minutes to make sure everything was reset.

Any other thoughts? I really do not want to RMA this thing.

Thanks
MRR

iiiprimeiii
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
wow this is crazy 2 different people same mobo and problems.:eek: :eek:

Barrister73
01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I just pulled the Mobo from the case and hooked it up. Same problem; so, grounding wasn't the issue.

MRR

iiiprimeiii
01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
wish i was super smart and could help but i am a beginner at all this. i almost ordered this but i think im gonna go with the gigabyte p35c. i had a hard time choosing one since they all seem to have VERY mixed reveiws.

BobaFettK
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
That's exactly what happened with mine, including the split-second flash of the keyboard lights with no function afterward. Lots of reviews on Newegg for the board say people had to send them back for DOA problems. I'm really starting to wish I had heeded those reviews. I'll let you know if my replacement works. I shipped it back tonight.

Barrister73
01-29-2008, 09:36 PM
i almost ordered this but i think im gonna go with the gigabyte p35c. i had a hard time choosing one since they all seem to have VERY mixed reveiws.

I spent about a month deciding between this and P35c myself. Reason I went with the P5KC was 1) Jamie keeps saying that it is just a RAM problem and can be fixed in BIOS (which I still believe, just need to actually get into BIOS), and 2) p35c seems to have just as many problems, but they only show up after the 30 day return policy. I'm sticking with P5KC. I hope that BobaFettK will too and that we can solve this little problem.

MRR

iiiprimeiii
01-29-2008, 09:50 PM
well let me know i am going with a similar set up to what u both have.
antec900, e8400, corsair520hx,evga8800gts,2gb corsair,.....etc im ordering parts tommorow or thursday but may hold off on mobo and see what happens with you two.

BobaFettK
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
The only significant differences between Barrister's setup and mine is that I was using 2 2GB DIMMs of Corsair RAM for a total of 4 GB, and I was using the evga 8800GT video card. But I'm pretty sure neither RAM nor video card would have caused the problems we experienced. Even though I dropped off the mobo at a UPS store yesterday, according to tracking it won't even get back to Newegg until MONDAY! Then I have to wait for them to check the package contents and ship my replacement. I hope they do it quickly. If my second board is DOA, I may be past the 30 day RMA deadline by the time I know anything.:(

The Wise Monkey
01-30-2008, 11:56 AM
This really sucks - when and where did you guys buy your motherboards? It could be a bad batch.

BobaFettK
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Newegg, ordered on 1-21-08. From the reviews though, it sounds like the whole run of the P5KC has included plenty of lemons. I know a lot of the negative comments about the RAM are fixable, but a lot of people seem to get versions of that board that just don't work.

Jamie Nixx
01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry guys if i knew the US boards were so touchy i would not have recommended them.

Over here in the UK the board is solid, nothing but 100% good reviews, i can only echo what WM said, it must be a bad batch.

I have recommended the same board literally hundreds of times and you two guys are the only ones who have come back with problems.

Barrister73
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I bought mine January 24, 2008.

Looking at the Asus website, this is not an uncommon problem. Might be that the board cannot take high end RAM. Also seems like people have had problems with newer CPUs. But, once you get a good board, they seem to work. I'll do some more trying tonight (sadly, I don't have an old CPU to try) and then RMA if I do not get anything.

I still have high hopes for P5KC. I'll keep you all posted.

MRR

Barrister73
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I am done with my testing. I tried all RAM configurations outside of the case. Only thing I noticed was that the reset button worked if there was no RAM installed, but would not work if I had a 1 gb in any of the slots. I will RMA and hope.

MRR