PDA

View Full Version : Phenom 9500 vs Dual 6000

bootsy72
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I have the option of paying an extra 50 bucks for an AMD Phenom X4 9500 processor instead of an AMD X2 6000 Dual-core. Should I do it?

Rob
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
That's a good question. I'd like to throw the question to the general community to hear what they have to say, so I'll relocate this post.

The Wise Monkey
01-29-2008, 08:39 AM
How much does the 9500 cost?

iiiprimeiii
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
looks like 159.99 for 6000 and 189.99 for phenom on newegg.

The Wise Monkey
01-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Hmm... for that price, you could get an E6750, which is a whole lot better than the X2 6000. It really depends on whether you need the quad-core functionality or not - most applications and games still don't support quad-cores.

bootsy72
01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks.

I was considering getting the Intel, since like you said, it is about the same price, but I heard that they practically have slave labor in other countries to keep the prices so low. I would not feel right about allowing someone to benefit from treating others as subhumans... do you guys have any idea about whether Intel is treating people badly? I know that's not really a post for this place, but the way I see it--I could do everything I wanted to (play hardcore games) with an AMD, and I would not be benefiting someone who has harsh practices.

Let me know what you guys think
Adios

The Wise Monkey
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
As far as I'm aware, Intel are pretty good with employee conditions - where did you hear that they were bad?

shyster
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I cannot answer your question outright, but it is a totally relative statement to say it is slave labor.

Pretty much anything coming out of any third world country, or the main asian four (China, India, Taiwon, and Korea)? Could probably be considered slave labor. However relative to their economy and the fact that work is spartan and non-existant for the most part, those jobs benefit them for the most part.

Even if you look at American history, when children were used as workers and for the most part treated as slaves. Looking at it from a "neutral" standpoint those children were providing for themselves and their families, and if they did not have those jobs, many of them probably would have starved, died of sickness, or been abandoned because the parents could neither take care of them nor afford them.

This probably does not help you at all, but this was more to shed some light on the plus side of child and new age "slave" labor.

This was not intended to say I support it at all. On the other hand I seriously doubt that AMD, for how cheap their processors are, are not using the same or a similar type of labor as Intel.

But like I said I do not know anything about their business practices as a factual base and am only making a resonable deduction.

Hope you gained something through this post, if only a headache.

bootsy72
01-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I found a web page devoted to "exposing" Intel while I was searching for the pros/cons of Intel's quad vs AMD's quad processor.

Any information coming from a web site will certainly be shaky; there is no guarantee that there is any truth behind it. I remember reading it and thinking "Come on AMD; don't slander Intel just because they whooped you in processors. Fight their product--don't ad hominem them." It came back to me later though when I thought about it. I wrote off the website without even considering what they were saying. Of course, there is no way to know if it is true; there is no way to know that both AMD and Intel arn't screwing somebody somewhere--not without traveling and investigating myself.

I just compared prices on Cyberpowerpc.com--I can get a quad core processor, 2 gigs of ballistix ram, an Nvidia 8800 gts 360 ram dd3, etc.

And the Intel version will only cost me $29 more. Looks like Intel is the way to go boys. Thanks for the help.

(I tried to find the website I found before, but I was unable to. Sorry Monkey.)

iiiprimeiii
01-29-2008, 02:05 PM
are u not gonna build ur own but buy one pre-made???

bootsy72
01-30-2008, 12:59 AM
I can get one pre-made for a total of $1029--and pay it over 6 months. Building it myself would not save me much.. and I would have to buy all the parts at once instead of being able to make payments. So for me, the best thing to do is get it premade and install my own memory and video card.