PDA

View Full Version : Old Drives in RAID 0 to New Computer

Cirra
01-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I have the hard drives from my old computer in a RAID 0 config which are still good and I'm building a new computer. Going to install Vista on the new system(had XP professional on the old). The drivers for the graphics and audio cards on the drives should be fine with the new cards as they were up to date and going with the same brand just newer. Just wondering what other advice and considerations anyone has before I install the old drives and boot up the new system. Thanks! :)

The Wise Monkey
01-27-2008, 02:53 PM
You will need to re-create the RAID array when you put the drives in the new computer (in the BIOS), so don't forget about that. Plus, you will need to install the new RAID drivers when you are upgrading Vista.

To be honest with you, its a lot more trouble than its worth. You are much better off doing a fresh install as this will make sure that all the drivers and programs will be 100% compatible. Plus, I'm really not sure how a RAID array will react to a complete change of components.

Cirra
01-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll probably get a new drive then and do a fresh installation. Will it be possible to migrate the information off the old drives using the processes explained in the guide or can I just set them up on the new computer as a different drive? :)

The Wise Monkey
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Which guide are you talking about?

Cirra
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Referring to the processes explained on this website.

The Wise Monkey
01-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Ah, OK. Haven't read the guide here for a while. :)

You should probably just set them up as a new drive on the new computer. Like I said, I don't know how robust RAID arrays are when transferred between computers, so it might be worth just playing safe.