PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up evga 8800GT to Corsair 520 psu

BobaFettK
01-26-2008, 03:08 PM
OK, the vid card came with a y-cable. One end (black with 6 pins) goes into the vid card, and the other end splits into 2 white 4 pin peripheral connectors (but each white connector only has 3 pins in it, with the end slot empty). On the other hand, my Corsair psu came with pci-e power cables that have the black 6-pin connector on one end, and the other end splits between ANOTHER 6-pin black connector and a little 2 pin connector that looks like it can join with the 6 pin to make an 8 pin connector. This brings up several questions:

1. Should I use the cable that came with the vid card or the cable that came with the psu (they're quite different)?

2. If I use the one that came with the card, do I hook up both white peripheral containers daisy-chained to a peripheral connector from the psu? Do I only hook up one? Do I hook up both to SEPARATE peripheral connectors?

3. When I try to use the black connector that came with the psu, only the end with just 6 pins will fit correctly into the gpu OR the psu. The other end (with the extra 2-pin combo) will not fit correctly into either the gpu or the psu, because the clip on that end is fatter and won't clamp properly to either piece of hardware. Is one end meant to go in the gpu, or can it plug in either way?