PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility questions

willybach
01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice on my new cheapish pc build. I went out and bought a new Mobo, GPU, Ram and CPU, but decided to use my old case and PCU to cut down on costs. The first problem was that my old Power supply didnt have the right 12v power connector for the motherboard, so well, it was never gonna work anyway. I haven't as yet had an opportunity to buy a new one (is there some kind of adaptor by the way? My PCU has a four pin 12v lead that was fine with my old mobo, the new mobo requires a 8 pin one, apparently thats the norm these days?). But on to my question about compatability, heres the list of parts i gathered for my new pc -

Mobo with AMD 770/SB600 Chipsets (actually forgotten exact model, im writing this from my mother in laws house :/)

AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200+

Nvidia 7600 GT (is this compatible? ive heard some people say it wont work well with AMD)

Ram 2GB - 2 x 1GB

Using also my old Power supply (400w)...

Also perhaps worth noting that my Mobo doesnt have any on-board graphics. This kinda surprised me upon getting it home (yes i really was that careless)...is that normal these days? So it requires a GPU...I mean i always thought the GPU needed a driver to run, or will it still function minimally and display an image before the drivers are installed?

Just havent had time yet to sort out this mess, probably rushed buying some of the parts too, shouldve done a little more research, but then i was buying it all in Tokyo Japan, and dont speak that much Japanese so that didnt help.
Would appreciate any help on any glaring mistakes...:eek:

The Wise Monkey
01-27-2008, 06:53 AM
The 7600GT is definitely compatible with AMD, so no need to worry there. The way that GFX cards work is that the OS maintains a very basic set of drivers to allow an image to be shown on screen, no matter what card you are using. You should go to nVidia's website ASAP and download the latest drivers for your card, though.

It is standard these days for motherboards to come without any onboard graphics - mainly because it forces you to spend more money... XD