PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up ASUS P5KC to Antec 900

BobaFettK
01-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm reading the directions to both at once (what a brain-melter), and a little confused on some things:

1. In the Antec case directions is says to connect the Reset Switch to the RST onnector, Power LED to PWR LED connector, Power Switch to the PWR connector, and Hard Drive LED to HDD LED connector. When I examine the 900 case, there are wires for POWER, RESET, and HDD LED, but no wire I can find for POWER LED. And the motherboard has a Q-connector for hooking up the RESET, POWER, and IDE LED, but also no connector for POWER LED. Am I missing something? Are the POWER and POWER LED together as one plug even though the case manual lists them separately?

2. Hd Audio or AC97 Audio? The case has a wre with 2 different plugs, one of each. MOBO direcctions suggest connecting "a high definition front panel audio module" to the 10-1 pin front panel audio connector on the board. Well, my case has a plug for that, but also one for AC97. Do I have to buy something extra to use HD Audio? Which one should I plug into the mobo?

3. I'm planning to install at least one SATA optical drive, one floppy drive, and one SATA hard drive into the case. I would LIKE to also install a second IDE optical drive, a second 3.5" drive (ZIP), and a second IDE hard drive. Which bays should I install these various components in to get optimal airflow and cooling? And then which bay should I leave open for the middle fan that comes with the 900 case?

4. Which order should I install these drives (listed above) in order to avoid one thing blocking access to another?

5. The motherboard has a 4-pin optical drive audio connector, which the manual says is for "sound sources such as CD-ROM, TV Tuber, or MPEG Card"--does this mean I can only use one optical drive? Or is this an extra connector for an IDE optical drive, and will the SATA optical drive connect to the mobo somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'll probably be back with more questions later. :o

The Wise Monkey
01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
1. The power & power led connectors are usually separate, but I would wait for someone with an Antec 900 case to tell you the answer to this one.

2. Use the AC97 - its perfectly good, and I assume that you will be using a soundcard anyway.

3. It doesn't matter where you put optical/3.5" drives, but you should leave as big a gap as you can between your HDs.

4. Work from bottom to top - HDs first, then 3.5", then optical drives. This means that the cables will all be running in the same direction.

5. This is only if you are going to be plugging headphones directly into the CD drive, which no-one ever does. :)