PDA

View Full Version : Family projects

Stark Raver
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
This will be my first build and I want to build around the 45nm process. The 8400 is the only one out but would be willing to use anything after that. I would prefer to build within $1000. Will not use sli or crossfire. Video card important but not necessarily for games. I want a versatile card that will be used for games but other stuff important. I was thinking 8600 and up with 512mb although will take something smaller if 512mb isn't that important. For mine I will probably upgrade to a quad at sometime. Should I use pci 2.0(how important is this) or pcie x16.

My 8yr old daughter will be building a pc at the same time. For her I am thinking any dual core intel. I want hers to be about 1/2 the price of mine with hers geared more toward video. in other words, I want hers to have tvtuner in and out. Perhaps light digital video editing for hers. we will have a combined budget of around $2000

I don't know what os to use for those 2 pc's. For my daughter, should I worry about Vistas copy protection stuff(don't know proper terminology). She won't be messing with too many things, however, I fear that the copy protect might interfere unexpectedly with legit stuff. I will also try to teach/learn partitioning and I also love Linux. So I'd like partitioning software. I will eventually have all systems with dual boot because I am going to force my girls to learn linux along with windows.

My 7yr old daughter is going to upgrade her Vista 32bit machine, w5233 pD 3.0ghz 82945g express chipset, with 2gb 667ram and video card. I was thinking a ati vc. I want this to be a cheap media center. I'm not possitive rather it will take nvidia or ati but it will use a pcie x16.

I want to be able to do Lan with them. What will I need to be able to link all these together for gaming and what games might be fun. We have all played total war stuff but were never able to do campaign mode at the same time. I have heard that the newest medieval total war expansion had multi-player campaign. Any suggestions for rts or other genre.

I put this under "build your own" because I want to build this entire setup for the first time. I will try to post the software questions elsewhere as well but I have run out of time.