PDA

View Full Version : Installing RAM - Dual or Single Channel?

SSIDiver
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Hello.

My parts arrived (came overnight from NewEgg even though I selected 3-day shipping..awesome!) and I have a question about my motherboard and RAM.

I'm going to be running Vista-64 so I'm installing two sticks of 2GB Crucial RAM onto a Asus P5KC motherboard.

Am I going to install the RAM in the DD2 A1 and A2 slots or in the DD2 A1 and B1 slots?

I thinking I'm installing in DD2 A1 and B1, which means I'm running dual-channel which seems to be the right thing to do.

And, on a side note, I installed my Quad Core no problem. Lightly dropped it into the area (no pressure needed for a 775, right?) and closed the lid and got the latch to go back into place. I wanted to make sure that there was no need to apply pressure to the CPU myself because I figure the pressure from the lid and hatch was enough? Also, Intel heatsinks are a MF'er to install. Those plastic clips are a pain to do.

Anyways, answers would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to be up and running tomorrow. I forgot to order by PSU...Haha. Another story for another day. It should be here tomorrow.

Jamie Nixx
01-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Yep A1 and B1 for the memory.

The CPU should go straight onto the motherboard pins under its own weight, no pressure need AT ALL.

The plate that goes across it is more than enough pressure, have you felt how hard the clip is to push down lol :p

Good luck with the build.

SSIDiver
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks, buddy.

I figure the pressure from the lid and lever were MORE than enough pressure for the CPU. I just wanted to make sure.

I just installed the 8800 GST and, MAH GOD, it is HUGE! I have my HD left to put in today and then I have to put in my PSU and optical drive when they come in the mail tomorrow.

Am I attaching the additional power cord from the 8800 GST to the PSU or is there a plug on the motherboard for that?

I also cannot find the places on the motherboard for the small plugs (LED lights, power switch, etc.) that come from the top of the Antec 900.

I need some Mountain Dew to continue on with this.