PDA

View Full Version : motherboards

lmolinajr
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Since i am new to this thing,what should i look for when choosing a motherboard and cpu?

RickyTick
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
It sort of depends on what you plan on using your computer for. The P35 chipset is very very good. It is probably the most popular right now. With that said, several pc enthusiasts have started moving on to the 780i chipset in anticipation of the new Penryn 45nm processors that are starting to come out. So if you want the latest and greatest, you might consider the 780i by nvidia.

The Wise Monkey
01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
The P35 will support the new processors, or you could go the the X38 chipset which is the updated version of the P35.

RickyTick
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
The P35 will support the new processors, or you could go the the X38 chipset which is the updated version of the P35.

I didn't know that. So I can put the Penryn in my Abit IP35 Pro?

The Wise Monkey
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Yep, you should be able to. You might have to download a BIOS update though - check the Abit website.

Jamie Nixx
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
The 780i's only advantage really is SLi, P35 boards still outperform it all over the park, so unless your using SLi there isn't really any point.

Its all well being the latest (not greatest) but Nvidia should stick to graphics cards because their chipsets are poor at best in comparison to Intel because they don't advance enough with each new chipset.

The 650i was brilliant when it first came out, excellent in every way, even for SLi, the 680i comes out, nothing new basically just upped the number, the 780i comes out with 45nm support and some DDR3 supported boards and they think they are the dogs, Intel have had those boards out since way back last year, the truth is Intel are just as advanced in CPU's over AMD as they are in chipsets over Nvidia.

And when the Skulltrail comes out that will just be another kick in the teeth.