PDA

View Full Version : What OS do you prefer?

DemonicDerek
03-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I use Windows Xp but the computer I am going to build is going to be Either Media center 2005 or it is going to be VISTA Ultimate.

Edit:

Now that my dad has a vista computer I am sticking with saying that Vista is a good operating system.

xeroatticus
04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Windows XP Home.

WickedVex
04-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Pfft...this one is a no brainer. Windows ME of course. It's constant freezes, blue screens of death, etc....what else can you ask for from an OS?

Seriously...Windows XP takes the cake on this. Pro, Home, Media Center....it's all good.

xeroatticus
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't really have any expirience with any other OS than Windows HP Home. I've use a Mac before, but I didn't really like it. I've used Vista as well, didn't think to much of that either.

Sstellethyss
06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Since this poll was not just asking what you are currently using (Windows 2000), but included what you would like to use, I had to go with Linux. Unfortunately with gaming as my main priority it's just not reasonable at this time, though over the course of the last few years it has improved so much it's like a distant cousin of it's predecessors. I can't wait to see Linux become mainstream and incorporate either a version of Wine that will allow you to game without either giving up text, sound or some such other vital part (unlikely)... or finally just get some software writers to start making games for Linux based operating systems.

Any other Linux enthusiasts catch that Microsoft had a couple listings on their own website for some systems that came with Ubuntu Pre-Installed? I almost had a heart attack... especially when they admitted in the advertisement that it was *Free!* and an all around good operating system for desktops and server use. Too bad they only had the site up for 2 days. Open mouth, insert foot much? :D

I haven't built my Super PC yet, I'm still making a list, but until my wish comes true for Ubuntu, I'll be using XP Pro.

The Wise Monkey
06-28-2007, 03:30 AM
I used to use XP, then upgraded to Vista, tore my hair out over numerous driver problems, installed Ubuntu as a dual-boot, tore the rest of my hair out over driver problems with Ubuntu, then formatted my hard drive and am now using XP again. @.@

bilbophile
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I use Linux (used to be Mepis, it's now Sidux - wit h a no-brainer update script). I only use XP (in VM Ware) to run Trados (computer aided translation software) and MS Office because OmegaT is still too rough for me and Open Office is still not 100% compatible with MS Office.

The kind of games I like very likely run in dosbox or VMWare.

I am fed up with the difficulty of using Windows, plus some things are hard or hardly possible to configure there.