PDA

View Full Version : Normal cpu and motherboard temps???

kanebrasi
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
What are normal temps for cpu and motherboard?

Have an asus p5k-vm and e6750 not overclocked
pc probe says cpu 9c and motherboard 31c -seems like it should be the other way around.

Thanks for any help

The Wise Monkey
01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
9C is pracically impossible... :/

Try using CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

kanebrasi
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I went into the bios and it said cpu temp 12c and motherboard 32c

I downloaded coretemp and it reported 28-30c for each core (e6750)

What could cause such a huge misread by the motherboard sensors?

I recently replaced the stock intel cooler with an artic cooling freezer 7 pro, could that have anything to do with it? Or did I screw something up during the build?

Thanks for any help

The Wise Monkey
01-19-2008, 07:16 AM
28C is quite high for the ACF7 - you might want to re-apply some thermal paste. Make sure you clean both the processor and the fan thoroughly first though.

I have an E6750 with the ACF7 fan, oced to 3.2GHz, and it idles at 18C.

The motherboard temp sounds about right - I'm really not sure why there is such a big discrepancy between the two readings for the CPU.

kanebrasi
01-19-2008, 08:38 AM
So I guess I need to take the motherboard out and check the cpu and cooler? Going to try and get a coretemp reading while running sp2004orthos. Do you think this has anything to do with the computer being turned on for the first time yesterday? I read that heat sinks/thermal compound take a little while to become effective. The articfreezer7pro comes preapllied with thermal compound and I just used that -you know, the whole clockwise twist before attatchment. I guess I should have cleaned off the preapplied compound and put on fresh. I had some of the articcooling mx-2 I could have used.

What do you use to test/burn-in your systems? Memtest86, memtest86+, prime95, sp2004orthos etc?

And I thought everything was going so well.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. This is only my second build.

JasonG
01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
WM,

Are you sure about your temps?? If it idles at 18C, then your room temp must be pretty darn cool!

My 6750 (also with the ACF7) idles at ~36-38C in a 21C room. If we estimate the same delta between room temp and core idle temp for your machine, then your room would need to be at 3C (brrrr!) :eek: :) . I'm not saying that it will be the exact same as mine becuase case airflow has a large effect on the temps too. You may have a better case.

Which version of CoreTemp are you using? It should be the 95.4 version or higher with the tjunction (or tj max) set at 100C. Is you tjunction at 85C?

kane,

28C for a core temp is very cool. The chip can easily handle temps as high as 65C, but most poeple like to keep them under 60C. I personally don't go above 58C under full load.

I also used the pre-applied TIM that the ACF7 came with. Works fine.

Use Prime95 or Orthos for full load testing.

The TIM does get better with time but supposedly it will only improve ~2-3 degrees.

My MB stays between 30-35C, for reference. Not 100% sure what a safe max for MB temp is.