PDA

View Full Version : Can DDR2 RAM be installed in odd increments?

BobaFettK
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I've already purchased myself 4GB of the Corsair RAM (even though I have no other parts for my dream machine yet) because I wanted the rebate from Newegg. I'm planning to start with XP and possibly upgrade to Vista later this year if they get some of the bugs worked out. CAN I use only one of the two 2GB components I purchased until I upgrade, or does that type of memory require 2 components running in tandem to function? I ask because I've read that XP runs worse with 4GB rather than only 2GB.

Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
You can just use one of them if you want to, it really doesn't matter.

People are getting the wrong idea - XP will use 4GB of RAM fine, as long as you have the 64-bit edition. Vista has the same problem as XP - only the 64-bit edition can support more than 3GB of RAM.

BobaFettK
01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks! I am aware of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit RAM capabilities, but I already own the 32-bit version of XP, which is why I asked. If I do upgrade later, I'll probably get the 64-bit version of Vista. My only concern is that I'd like to be able to run older games and use older hardware (Thrustmaster gamepad, for example), and I've heard that unless you have drivers created specifically for a 64-bit OS, these programs and hardware won't function. And when I say older games, I'm talking Windows 95 optimized games, like "Outlaws" and "Jedi Knight". :)

The Wise Monkey
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Hmm, you might have difficulties there then. You can run older games in compatability mode though, so it should be ok.

BobaFettK
01-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Is that like the function in XP that runs programs as if you're using Windows 95? Is that built into all versions of Vista?

The Wise Monkey
01-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Yep - you can run programs in 95,98,2000,XP or Server 2003 mode. :)