PDA

View Full Version : Which OS to purchase?

Barrister73
01-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I know that it has been asked and answered, but the information is a couple months old and I would like a fresh opinion.

I'm going to be building a computer soon and will have to purchase a new OS. Should I go with XP or is Vista good enough now to just go with it? I do not want to have any problems building my computer, but I also don't want to buy a new OS in a year or two.

Thanks
MRR

Jamie Nixx
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Go with Vista mate, its running sweet now the drivers are up and running, and it will only get better with time.

Make sure you buy OEM and NOT Retail.

Barrister73
01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
The difference is just price and the need to send in some receipts, correct?

MRR

Barrister73
01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
One last thing; 32 or 64?

Jamie Nixx
01-20-2008, 08:30 AM
If your using 2GB of ram or less, 32bit, if your using 4GB, 64bit.

drewcarr1
03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
So as of March 15, 08' is it safe for me to buy Windows Vista over Windows Xp service pack 2...I will be building a system and was just wondering if the kinks have been worked out with Vista...??

chunkylover53
03-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Yup. Especially on a new system with newer components. I have an old external DVD that LG won't upgrade the drivers for, but that's their problem not vista. Vista is good to go.

Sailavie
03-17-2008, 06:27 PM
One of my concerns in considering a pc build is exactly what has been brought up in this thread.

What are the general thoughts out there as to what peripherals will be affected by the change in OS. I have Epson scanner, NEC lcd monitors, Brother wireless laser printer, Netgear router, and a variety of other plug and play type devices such as cameras, disc readers, webcams, etc...

Am I looking at scrapping a bunch of perfectly operational devices or will most, if not all, of them work fine? Will new drivers need to be installed? When plug and play devices from 2-3 years ago were designed I have to believe they plug and play based on XP drivers.

How do all these items survive the change?

Any thoughts?

chunkylover53
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I only had one device that didn't survive, and I blame that on LG for being to lazy to post it on their site. Canon printer, Canon scanner, Kodak camera, ipods, wireless keyboard, 2 different brands of external hard drives... all worked plug and play or simply needed an updated driver, which takes all of a few minutes to download. If your going to build your own, you'll already be downloading a dozen or more updated drivers. What's a few more? :)

My guess is that most of what you have will have a Vista driver by now, but I wouldn't leave that to our advice. Go to the device manufacturers website, look for your model number, and double check if it's Vista compatible.

Sailavie
03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
That's a good idea! I'll start checking my devices.

Thanks!

RickyTick
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Chunky is exactly right. Go to the manufactures website and check compatibility.

One more thing to consider. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is due out any day now. One of the big attributes of SP1 is the increase in compatibility.