PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper than Build-Your-Own?

WSUnate
01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I just checked out this site: PCUSA.com and they have a SLI+ Gamer PC and looks pretty comparable (although not exact) to what was built on the main page here. What is your opinion about the specs? I added up the computer here to cost about $1200 to build....they are offering a good computer for $700+ what do you guys think?

chunkylover53
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm dreadfully new at this, so you're going to get much better advice from the big dogs on the forums here. But even from a novice perspective it doesn't look like the same as what the you will see recommended for the same $775.

The board & the processor look OK, and reviews of Super Talent memory seem fine, but that's about it. Not sure if two 8500 GT cards will even be as good as one 8600 for the same money. You are getting a 350W power supply, which is not going to last long, and as far as I can tell the deal doesn't include an operating system. The 4GB of RAM won't do you any good without Vista, and that'll cost ya.

Again, I'll yield to the experts, but I don't see it as comparable. Not to mention, no sweating over whether you are going to fry $800 worth of equipment. Where's the fun in that!?! :D

WSUnate
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Replying Chunkylover53:

I would say I'm less than dreadfully new at this. I haven't even begun to read how its done. I've torn computers apart as a teenager and replaced things, but the computer today isn't really the same as the computer then.

I know how fragile components are and I really don't want to "fry" anything either.

Can this building REALLY be done by a newbie?

In response to your reply: how do I justify spending another $500 for a computer that I have to build?? There'd have to be a whole lot more than just wattage and things the naked eye wouldn't notice:) ...

Amosmoses33
01-17-2008, 08:30 AM
yes it can be done, i did it ;) and if i can, anyone can

chunkylover53
01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I hear ya, WSUnate. I'll give you just a few more thoughts.

First, I have never built anything prior to this, I'm not "handy" and I'm not "techno savvy". I'm a MORON :confused:. I started reading Rob's MSPC site and these forums in November, and just kept reading and doing the research. The more I read, the more I wanted to try it. Now, less than 3 months later, I have a kick a_s machine that I am confident will last and can be upgraded multiple times.

Second, the components are less fragile than you might think. I wore an anti-static wrist strap just in case, but it wasn't like doing brain surgery. It reminds me of having my first kid. They seem so fragile when you first look at them, but over time you realize how sturdy they really are. You can't drop them, but you can move them around pretty easily without breaking them.:D

As far as wattage and other naked eye stuff, just keep reading and you'll start to see why it's not really naked eye. Like I said, it doesn't come with an operating system as advertised, so you will have to buy Windows (add another $90). It has 4 gigs of RAM, but two of them will be useless on Windows XP, so if you don't want them to go to waste you'll need Windows Vista. Etc.

Finally, do yourself a favor and research every part they list on that build. Should take less than an hour or so to find them on newegg and read some reviews. If you still feel like it's worth not bothering with the build, go for it. At the very least you'll feel better about what your buying, right?;)

iiiprimeiii
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
most of the parts that you buy for building a computer yourself will have a much longer warranty than just going to the store and purchasing one. also pre assembled computers have some good parts and the rest they totaly jip u on with cheap crap.

jclaydon
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
What costs more is a relative term. When I use to buy all my computers at a store, they'd always break down after about a year, which is why I'd always buy an extended waruntee. Now i know why. the componets they use are CRAP.

I haven't built my own system yet.. But if there's one thing I've learned from the experts in this site is that the power supply can make or break a system. I wouldn't be surprised if half the failures I have gotten replaced now were due to the power supply that they put in.

So I look at it this way, I can either buy the components myself, pay extra money and KNOW for a fact that I have done my reasearch and they will last me a long time.

Or i can pay extra money to replace crappy computer when it fails..

Either way in the end, it will probably cost close to the same.. Plus if you build it yourself, you'll be in a better position to replace something if it does happen to fail.

just my two cent

-James