PDA

View Full Version : Time to build?

Barrister73
01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
After reading these posts, checking on Newegg, and flipping coins, I decided on the following for my first computer build.

Antec Sonata III case
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Asus P5K-C

I have read too many negative comments on AMD lately to go with them. Even though I want to root for the underdog, it looks like Intel will be better in the long run.

I chose the P5K-C due to Jamie Nixx's statements that all the people on Newegg giving bad ratings just don't know how to correctly set up the board. Also, because my next choice (Gigabyte P35C) seems like if there is a problem, it will manifest itself only after the 90 day return period.

Is this a good setup? Any other (comparably priced) options? Should I go ahead and build it, or is new technology coming soon that will drop prices?

Thanks
MRR

BobaFettK
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, I just finished ordering my Antec 900 case from Newegg since there is now a $40 rebate, making it $79.99 with free shipping, so you might want to look into that case. Everyone seems to think it's the best. I hope they're right!

Barrister73
01-14-2008, 08:55 PM
The 900 is a nice looking case. Love all the vents and fans. Don't care for the lights; however, I can slice the wires out. But, as it doesn't come with a power supply, it winds up costing $50 more than the Sonata in the end. Being a cheap person, I'll pass on the 900 for now.

Unless someone can explain why the included power supply would be a bad idea.