PDA

View Full Version : SATA Optical Drive

b_hendrickson
01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
First boot went without a hitch! I just have 1 question about using a SATA DVD drive and a SATA HD with the Asus P5KC motherboard. Which SATA ports do I plug them into? Right now I have the DVD drive plugged in to SATA#1, and the HD in to SATA#2. Is this right? My concern is over the master/slave issue.
Thanx

chunkylover53
01-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I could use help here too with the P5KC. I plugged the HD into SATA1, left SATA2 empty, connected the optical to SATA3, and the front panel SATA into #4. First build has been up and running for a few days, but I'm not sure if it's right or not.

The Wise Monkey
01-14-2008, 05:32 AM
It doesn't actually make that much difference which SATA ports you use. SATA drives have no concept of master/slave - they all act as master drives. Therefore you could plug them in anywhere and they would still work. :)

b_hendrickson
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
That is exactly the info I needed! Thanx!

The Wise Monkey
01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
No problem. :)

BobaFettK
01-19-2008, 06:43 AM
It doesn't actually make that much difference which SATA ports you use. SATA drives have no concept of master/slave - they all act as master drives. Therefore you could plug them in anywhere and they would still work. :)

In that case, how does the pc know which drive to boot from? For example, if you have an OS installed on the hard drive, but a new OS installation cd in the optical drive, will the cd run on boot or will the hard drive OS run? What if you want it to choose a certain location over another?

The Wise Monkey
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
You can select the boot priority in the BIOS i.e. if you want to boot from the CD, put your optical drive at the top of the list.