PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm totally new to Wireless Networking.

Crisis Core 2.0
01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Currently i run a wired home network, but eventually i'm going to want to clear out the wires and just go wireless.
Some things i need to consider: There will be at least 2 PC's, 1 laptop [i have another but it's a Compaq Presario from 1998 or so... don't think it'll support it], and 1 Xbox 360 running on this network.

I have a general idea of how to hook it up [DSL Modem plugs into router] but i need to have an idea of the hardware i need and how much it would cost.

I need something cheap-ish that will fulfill what i need to do at adequate speeds. I don't think i'll need anything more than 802.11g, but i'm unsure still.
Help please?

The Wise Monkey
01-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Belkin do good wireless routers, as do Netgear.

The first thing to consider is how widely apart your laptops/Xbox are. Where are you going to be using them? Just around the house, or will you be using them outside as well? Different routers have different signal strengths, so you need to get something that will give the required range.

Spiffs
01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I recently bought the Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router - 54Mbps, 802.11g, 4-Port router for $50.

the router is in the basement and my sister's laptop is 2 floors up and it stills gets a decent connection, good router.

choba07
06-18-2008, 08:32 PM
You will need wireless PCI adapter which goes inside of your computer and you will need a router.