PDA

View Full Version : First Boot with P5KC

chunkylover53
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
So far so good. Fans all running (the Zalman fan is gigantic) :eek: and I have video. I think I'm ready for drives, but I want to double check. I was fine up to the point in Rob's directions where he describes the CMOS procedure.

The BIOS setup menu doesn't look anything like the images Rob shows, and I assume that's to be expected (different motherboard). There were menu options across the top. I searched the menu options but did not see "Load Fail Safe Defaults". Under "Exit", I had "Load Setup Defaults". I tried that, hit save & exit, then it rebooted. Again, I didn't get the same screen as Rob has out there with a bunch of stuff on it, but I did get something to the effect of "Insert system disk and press any key". Am I missing something, or shall I move on to the drives?

Installed so far:
Antec Sonata III
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX
ASUS P5KC LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT Cooler
2x 1GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory
EVGA GeForce 8600GT 512MB

The Wise Monkey
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Fail-safe defaults == system defaults. :)

When it says about inserting system disk, it means that it is trying to boot/install an Operating System. Attatch your optical drives and try installing.

chunkylover53
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks WM. I installed an optical drive and a hard drive. Before I try installing XP, I have another question:

The BIOS for the P5KC looks a lot different than the line by line details Rob gives on MSPC, and I'm terribly new to this. I set the first boot device to my optical drive so I could install the OS, but should I just run with the system defaults on everything else and wait until I know what the heck I'm doing? Any posts that you know of outlining good known settings for this motherboard, or should I not mess around?