PDA

View Full Version : How long will you give AMD?

rustygrant
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I was hoping the release of the Phenom series would give them a bump, but I hear there are serious issues with the L3 cache. In your opinion, are they sunk? How much longer would you say they will be making CPUs?

The Wise Monkey
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
This is really in the wrong section...

Anywho, it is difficult to say whether or not AMD will recover its lost market share. I hope they do, because competition is always good for we consumers. :)

Jamie Nixx
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
They are all over the shop, the biggest issue with the Phenoms is that they failed to outperform any of Intels Quads.

I want them to comeback, as WM said its good for us that they have a healthy rivalry because it will press them to make better CPU's for the consumer in an effort to out do the other.

But the the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Quads delivered a knockout blow that will be very hard to come back from.

Right now Intel are preparing to release the Penryns, these will spell the end for AMD unless they pull off something of biblical proportions in the next couple of months.

Sad to say but i don't think they can come back.

rustygrant
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Do you think the role of intel and amd will reverse? AMD will focus more on marketing to the common man and Intel will focus on higher end CPUs. What do you think Apple's role will be in this? They only deal with Intel and their laptop sales are soaring. I agree; not only will Intel be less motivated to produce quality products, I would imagine they will also be less motivated to cut their prices. (sorry about posting in the wrong section).

Jamie Nixx
01-10-2008, 04:29 AM
To be honest i think Intel have the common man covered as well, if you look at some of their cheap, low end Core 2 Duo's, some or most of them outperfrom AMD's high end CPU's.

Intel thought about what they were doing, not only have they catered for us gamers, but they have catered for people who just want ordinary computers.

rustygrant
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, as far as price/performance, AMD still gives more for $. That's what I meant; AMD processors are slower, but they're also cheaper. (http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1076&model2=871&chart=444)