PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a Motherboard and CPU

chef19
01-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Ok so I am attempting to build my first PC, pretty excited. The main purpose is to push two 30" Samsungs.

I am not much of a gamer, my main focus is really just trying to build a quality machine which also has upgradibility for the future.

I might have done this in the reverse order in terms of what I have already purchased, but from what I can tell it shouldn't matter too much and there will still be good options for the motherboard and CPU.

I want to go with an Intel Core 2 Duo as the CPU, so that obv limits me in terms of the motherboard.

Here is what I have already purchased. Please help me pick out a motherboard and CPU that will be compatible with the components I have already purchased. I sincerely appreciate all of the help as I am a total noob.

---------

4GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DDR2

eVGA GeForce 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB Video Card

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 MB/s

Sony DRU840A Dual Formal Double Layer DVD RW/CDRW

Jamie Nixx
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
How much money do you have left to spend on a CPU and Motherboard?

My recommendation is a Q6600 CPU and an Asus P5K-C motherboard, bare in mind this will come to about $400.

chef19
01-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Jaime I was hoping you would respond to my post cause you give such great advice.

At the time of my post I was going to go with the Core 2 Duo, but to be honest the price difference for the Quad is probably worth it.

My concern is that it is one of the early editions of the Quad. Maybe they will make it better etc. Is this even a valid concern? The price difference doesnt mean much to me so if the Quad is SIGNIFICANTLY better then I will def get it.

Also, I guess the motherboard is the central hub of the computer. Will this motherboard support future upgradibility? I'm assuming it will as you wouldnt give bad advice.

BTW, I also followed your advice in another thread about the Corsair 520W Power Supply, picked that up earlier today.

Thanks alot for your great help.

Jamie Nixx
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah the motherboard will be fine for future upgradeability.

If your worried about the current Quads, then you could wait a few weeks for the Penryns to arrive, they should in theory be cheaper than the current Quads as they will be replacing them, much like when the E6750 replaced the E6600.

Right now at this moment in time, the E6750 is better, but this is only because programs and games don't offer Quad support yet, if they did, despite having a less FSB and Clock speed to the Duo, they would totally outperform them.

Its up to you.

chef19
01-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok so I have decided to go with the Dual Core CPU. I am still having major difficulty determining which motherboard to buy as I really dont even know what to look at in terms of making an educated decision. Here is my current updated component list.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 LGA775

4GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DDR2

eVGA GeForce 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB Video Card

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 MB/s

Sony DRU840A Dual Formal Double Layer DVD RW/CDRW

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX Power Supply

--------

I am honestly overwhelmed when looking at all these different motherboars so I could still use some help. Just not sure what to buy.

Please give a bried description or reason why I should or shouldnt go with one of these boards.

ASUS P5N-E SLI

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Asus P5K-C

Thanks alot for your time and for answering a question which I am sure has been asked multiple times before.

Jamie Nixx
01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
The Asus P5N boards use Nvidia chipsets, the P5N-E uses a 650i chipset and the 32 uses the 680i chipset so its newer.

These boards support SLi, thats all they have to their advantage, and thats a pretty weak advantage considering SLi is a waste of time and money.

They do however overclock very well, but considering the P35 boards do just as well its not really an advantage any more/

The P5K-C has a much newer and better P35 Intel chipset, the Intel chipset boards also support DDR2 and DDR3 memory and 45nm CPU's, so they are better equipped to deal with upgradeabilty when newer components come out.

chef19
01-09-2008, 12:23 AM
So I have decided to go with the P5k-C motherboard. Thanks for the help.

Here is my new dilemma. I would like for this desktop to have a WiFi card inside it so I wont have to connect it directly with an ethernet cord.

Can you recommend some type of Wi Fi card that is inserted into desktops.

Thanks alot.

The Wise Monkey
01-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Belkin do USB wireless cards which are very good - I've never had any trouble with mine. :)

chef19
01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
This was posted in the OS forum but got no response.

I am going to purchase Vista Home Premium, but when looking on Newegg I see two different types.

1. Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $110

2. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium DVD - Retail $219

Well I am building my system, so should I go with the first one, it is half the price.

What's the difference between these OS and which one should I choose.

Thanks alot.

The Wise Monkey
01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
There is no real difference between the retail and the OEM versions - you just don't get the box and any extras that come with it. I've never bought a retail OS before - OEM versions are great. :)

chef19
01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok so I finally have all of my components and am pumped about trying to build this machine.

One final question and since this the thread where I have received the best/most responses I will just post it here.....

I am interested in using WiFi on this desktop because I don't want to run the wires across different rooms.

I know there are PCI WiFi cards that can be installed internally in the case. There are also USB WiFi adapters that will work too. Can you guys please give me your suggestions on which route I should go, and also recommend a product.

Thanks alot!

The Wise Monkey
01-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Hmm, it really depends. If you have lots of USB devices already, then a PCI card is probably the best way to go. The opposite is also true - lots of PCI cards, then go for USB.

One of the best things about USB wi-fi devices is that you can use them on any computer, laptop, or just about anything with a USB port.