PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the Wise Monkey!

Jamie Nixx
01-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey WM, need some advice, basically i finished my business GNVQ last summer and decided i didn't really want a career in that so i dropped the A-level course and college alltogether for a while because it was driving me barmy, 6 months later i want to get back into education but doing something IT based.

I have been looking around and have found a couple of courses that start in exactly a months time so i need to act quick.

This is the one thats appealing to me most
http://www.lambethcollege.ac.uk/courses/course_list/course_detail.cfm?cit_id=759

On successful completion of this course i was hoping to do the national diploma and then hopefully Uni.

Its either this or the REME (Army engineers), so ANY advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers mate.

The Wise Monkey
01-05-2008, 08:14 AM
That looks like a good course - I take it you want to build computers for a living. :)

Lambeth College is definitely good for vocational stuff, so no problems there.

Do you mean the 'National Diploma for IT Practitioners' or the 'ND in Computer Studies': http://www.central-college.com/btecnationaldiplomacomputerstudies.html

Which university do you want to go to?

Jamie Nixx
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
The one i was looking at was the ND for IT practitioners, i hadn't even heard of the other one lol :rolleyes:

Which one do you think would be best out of the two?

As for Uni's i haven't even looked that far ahead tbh mate, i definately want to work in the IT industry, but i would prefer more technical based work such as building and repairing ect, i doubt i would be any good at Network Admin and stuff lol.

Cheers.

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 05:01 AM
It really depends on what you want to do afterwards - the two NDs focus on different aspects of IT. Spec sheets are here:

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/itc/dip/4347/

I'd advise you to have a look through the Edexcel site and see what appeals to you for each type - there are various flavours of each ND, so you get more choice.

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Cheers WM you have been a great help :D

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
No problem - let me know what you decide. :)

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Hmm yeah i have come to a bit of a problem.

I originally applied for the Btec FD at Lambeth back in November, they sent me a letter saying they would contact me closer to the time of the course starting, i went on holiday, when i came back, i had a letter saying that i needed to come in for numeracy and literacy assessments on the 11th of December, i was like :eek: because i was and have been on holiday for a while in Ireland.

So i ring up today, ask about the course, operator goes yes you can still apply for the couse there is plenty of time, i explain what happened and the phone goes silent, she then comes out with, oh i am sorry but you may have missed your place, i'll put you through to the enrolment department, at this moment i am like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: like wtf am i going to do if i don't get on this course ect.

And i have been trying to get hold of the department since this morning to no avail.

This sucks, if i don't get on this course i dunno what i am going to do man, for the first time in my life i actually want to get back into education.

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
So... how long were you on holiday for? Why didn't you call them as soon as you got back?

I just don't get why you left it so long before contacting them again.

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I have just got back, like a week ago.

I assumed they would contact me in January.

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Hmm, ok then. It seems as if you might be in a spot of bother here. Keep trying to get through to the admissions people.

It might just be Lambeth that have finished with admissions - have a look for other colleges in your area that do the course. Either that, or wait until the next enrolment period - would it be this time next year?

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
What i don't get is that, she said yeah theres plenty of time left to apply for the FD, so why may it be a problem for me to just apply again? there must be places left on the course otherwise she wouldn't have said yeah there is plenty of time left.

Its just one person who said it 'may' be a problem, i'll have to speak to the enrolment people tomorrow and see what they say.

The next enrolment period would be next year, i really can't wait that long so i would have to enrol when all colleges start enroling in the summer, either that or find another course at Lambeth college.

Thing is i really want to do this, i have just been looking at the University of London, and they accept ND's as they are equivalent to 3 A-Levels, that would be so awesome to do a degree in what i actually like doing.

Alternatively i could just jump straight into the ND in the summer, but what would i do for 6 months?

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Get a job! Seriously, the extra cash would definitely be useful, not just for tuition fees, but for student lifestyle. :)

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Lol thats easier said then done mate, its well hard to get a job nowadays.

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Heh, only if you are too proud. :P

First things first though, keep trying to get in touch with these guys - they might have a space left.

Jamie Nixx
01-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi WM, rang them and got through straight away, they have rebooked my Literacy and Numeracy assessments for the 14th, i am so happy, i am not out of the woods yet, obviously i haven't even got onto the course yet, far from it, but i am taking the first step, they said as far as they know, the course still has places left.

I am a little worried about these Numeracy and Literacy assessments, but hopefully if i get through them i have a good chance of getting onto the course and doing my ND in the summer.

Cheers.

The Wise Monkey
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine with the right preparation. Practice tests are definitely the way to go.

Anywho, let me know how you get on. :)

Jamie Nixx
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Righty oh dude.

I AM ON THE COURSE!!

lol had my interview at 6pm today, just got in, tutor was really nice, he was impressed with my prior skill i must say, not that i bragged or anything ;)

Start on the 5th.

Man i am so happy.

Thanks for your help dude :D

The Wise Monkey
01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Congratulations! :)

Glad it all went well - just don't neglect these forums now that you have something more to do with your time... ;)

Jamie Nixx
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
HAHA nah i won't :D