PDA

View Full Version : Crysis

kmayo123454321
01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone! I would like to preface this with some info. I am your typical 20 yo male. I like everything that is normal for my demo. Cars, girls, motorcycles, music, and computers/video games. I have been a console gamer my whole life and am now switching over to PC. I figure, now that I am out on my own, why waste money buying a computer AND a console since all of the games I like come out for both? That's where I ran into a problem.

About two weeks ago I purchased a presario F700 notebook. It had dual cores with 2GB of RAM. To me, that sounds like a huge number. All of the other specs were pretty high as well. Save the gaming graphics card. It was like 64MB!!! I want to play the game Crysis, if you've heard of it. Needless to say, I wasn't doing it on this system! Yesterday, I took it back because I have decided to build my own PC.

This is where you guys come in. I have NO CLUE what I am doing. Being a console gamer, everything was already set up for me, just plug and play! I want to be able to run crysis on at least the low settings with a CONSISTANTLY (read:100%) smooth framerate. Also will be playing mutiplayer with the same expectations. I am pretty much asking that you guys recommend the motherboard, GPU, gaming card, chipset, and EVERYTHING that I will need to run this game as I described. Keep in mind that I need everything to be compatable with each other and of course I need my system to be upgradeable so I can play new games as they come out. I also want to keep cost as low as possible. I know I am asking a lot, but please; Help out a n00b!!!

kmayo123454321
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm thinking about going with the AMD atholon 64 X2, but would it be better to go with the Intell Duo? Or would it be a good idea to go straight for the quad core? What are the pros and cons here?

Jamie Nixx
01-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Intel is the way to go, AMD are not in the same league.

Whats your max budget?

kmayo123454321
01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I want to keep it <850. The guy who made this site said he uses the AMD. I was also satisfied with the AMD on my laptop. Why not just go with it? Are you just brand loyal?

Jamie Nixx
01-05-2008, 02:38 PM
No actually i prefer AMD.

But i am not going to sacrifice performance over brand loyalty so i decided to go to Intel when they brought the Core 2 Duo out.

Rob built his super computer when AMD were the big dogs, sorry but they are on the verge of extinction now, Intels new cores are better priced, they completely obliterate AMD in terms of performance and Intel motherboards have much better chipsets.

$850 can build a decent gaming computer which if your lucky might be able to play Crysis on medium settings with nice FR, NO computer in the world can run Crysis flawlessly.

kmayo123454321
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
No actually i prefer AMD.

But i am not going to sacrifice performance over brand loyalty so i decided to go to Intel when they brought the Core 2 Duo out.

Rob built his super computer when AMD were the big dogs, sorry but they are on the verge of extinction now, Intels new cores are better priced, they completely obliterate AMD in terms of performance and Intel motherboards have much better chipsets.

$850 can build a decent gaming computer which if your lucky might be able to play Crysis on medium settings with nice FR, NO computer in the world can run Crysis flawlessly.

I was gonna go with the AMD athlon 64 X2 6000+. What similarly priced and performanced Intel should I go with instead?

Jamie Nixx
01-05-2008, 08:38 PM
The 6000 is $170, the E6750 is $180 and totally outperforms the AMD in every department.

kmayo123454321
01-06-2008, 06:39 PM
The tech specs on newegg give the 6000 3.0GHZ and the intel 2.66. I thought you said every department? If I go with the intel, do you know what graphics card/motherboard/RAM combo to go with? The requirements for the game are:

CPU: Core 2 Duo/Athlon X2 or better
RAM: 1.5GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 7800 Series, ATI Radeon 1800 Series or better
VRAM: 512MB of Graphics Memory
Storage: 12GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
ODD: DVD-ROM
DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

iiiprimeiii
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
intel

Jamie Nixx
01-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Yes it outperforms it in every department, all you are looking at is numbers, they don't mean a thing, just trust me, Intel is the way to go.

I would pair that with an Asus P5K-C and 2GB of Corsair memory and if you can afford it an 8800GT.

A setup like that will run Crysis on high.

Redman
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I figured i would jump in this also. I put together a build for around this price a little bit ago that runs excellent with a Intel cpu. Trust Jamie's knowledge, the dude knows what he is talking about haha. :)